Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday a whirlwind

Wow, Monday is officially come to an end as it's exatly 12:00 pm as I type this.

So we started with the Resource Center. I'd love to say I had tons to do with making the resource extra-special this year but alas, it wasn't me. Chalk that one up to our fearsome executive director Tadson Bussey, I do believe! Anyway, terrific turnout on the part of the exhibitors and the hotel outdid themselves with breakfast. (And yeah, they had yogurt, thanks for that one too Tadson!) We had a nice stream of people the entire three hours and there was a great deal of mingling going on. I think I even saw one of my coworkers, who normally would prefer to avoid any sort of awkward small talk, conversing with a complete stranger! So this conference has been a friendly, happy one. I can only credit that to our great icebreaker reception as well as the layout of the hotel. Whatever the key was, it's been a wonderfully friendly conference.

Breakouts were up next. I went to see Scott Boylston and boy he is incredible. The session he led about packaging and sustainable design was so inspiring ... and I don't really design packaging! But it did make me think about how I could approach things differently. To add to the fun, Scott is an amazingly nice guy too.

A quick trip back to the historic district for some honey at the brand new Savannah Bee Company as well as to Nourish for some soap was well worth it. I recommend dropping by and again, don't tell my husband, but I think he will enjoy the honey that is especially good for sweetening tea. Some of our attendees got to go on the historic tour. I heard it was excellent, even if it was walking around for 2.5 hours! Well worth it, most agreed.

The only downer on our day was realizing at 3:20 that there was a problem with our 3:30 speaker. Fortunately, our UCDA members rolled with the punches and went back out to the city. Most returned in time for round 2 of breakouts, grabbed a quick dinner, then returned at 8 to hear Ross MacDonald. Ross is a funny, funny man who first shared some great cartoons, then moved to his letterpress work. The letterpress work is beautiful and he talked in length about how he works on the press. Fascinating stuff, actually and just gorgeous to see. He then talked about how he's moved towards working in movie props. The amount of work that goes into these is absolutely incredible. The research is so tedious, it's amazing. So to the ones that returned, I can only say you got a terrific show, I hope. I know I enjoyed it.

We then took Ross out for a drink and ran into that crazy Gamecock crowd. What a rowdy bunch those guys proved to be! Larry leads a great team and they clearly are fond of each other. Looking at this picture, it's kind of amazing that Larry is still standing up, to be honest.

See all you folks in the morning!
cp

No comments: