Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Olde Pink House

A lovely dinner tonight at the Olde Pink House. It's a Savannah institution and the food is delicious but completely rich and decadent. The house is called that because they made it out of brick and then plastered it white, but the brick color bled through. And so now the house is ... pink. First it was a home, then it was a bank, then a refuge to Union soldiers (hey they didn't burn Savannah) and finally pretty much falling apart, it was restored in 1992. There's allegedly a ghost in the Planter's Tavern women's bathroom. Last time I was in Savannah, I went to see if the ghost would feel me up but alas, I guess I wasn't much of an allure to him. Nothing. I was a little affronted!

Anyway, a lovely evening with a group of people who have done so much for UCDA throughout the years. They are fun and interesting people and I'm glad to consider them friends. They come not only for the programming, but because these people have become some of their very dearest friends. UCDA can not only be a place of inspiration and rejuvenation and education, but a place of support and friendship. So I hope, you lurking blog readers, if you attended the conference, you found those kindred spirits amongst the attendees. UCDA does many things well, but those close bonds are one of the most amazing things we can share.

Alas, I'm full of chocolate and wine and getting a tad bit sappy. Anyway, I encourage all of you to not only attend as much UCDA programming as you can get to, but to also deeply participate. Such a wonderful way to meet people and make UCDA important in your life too. Find a board member and see how you can get more involved.

Tomorrow is the resource center, and we're expecting a good one this year. Hope you have lots of extra room in that suitcase! If not, there's a Kinko's on Broughton Street and they ship! We have some great programming lined up for you tomorrow and you have a lovely break in the middle to shop and eat. Me, I'm going down to the Savannah Bee Company and getting some honey. Don't tell my husband tho, it's a surprise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We at the pink house last night as well. So yummy. Then we wandered downtown for ice cream-a perfect evening.